Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Looking for a Way to Introduce Your Little One to the Story of Martin Luther King, Jr.?

Since my daughter is now a two-year-old who understands more and more every day, I've started introducing her to the meanings of holidays we observe.  While I don't expect her to fully understand, I don't think it's ever too early to start talking about it. She loves "reading", so we recently used a book to introduce the meaning of Christmas.  It worked (well, she associates Christmas with a baby (check!), and adds "wah, wah, wah, all through the town" to the story when she's reading it, but hey!), she loved it, so I wanted to use the same method to introduce the importance of MLK Day.

There are several MLK books out there, but it was important that I found something that was fairly short, easy to understand, had good pictures, and could take the wear and tear of a toddler who turns the pages of books a little too hard -- and still gets across the meaning of why Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is such an important part of our nation's history.   I ran across this board book for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers.


Barnes and Noble was having their Educators Appreciation sale this week, so I got it for 25% off.  I checked my local B&N inventory online one day and they had them, and came back the next day and they were all gone!  I searched another local B&N, and they had it -- I was sure to reserve it immediately.  They texted me within the hour and said it was ready. I had to drive a few more miles to get it, but I'm very glad I did.

Go here to buy or reserve yours at B&N.

Or here to order from Amazon.

Happy reading!

Image:  BN.com

No comments:

Post a Comment