Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Skincare Share

I feel weird giving out skincare advice, but I've had people ask what I use on my own skin.  So I thought a blog post would be nice.  :)

Now I see my face every day (up close), and I can tell you it's not perfect.  But I do know there are days when my skin seems to glow and my complexion seems so smooth, and I can only attribute it to a few little treasures.

I don't use powder or foundation -- never really have.  My prom, wedding, and maybe weddings I've been in, but only on very special occasions like that.  Why?  No real reason. I just had no interest in wearing it in high school and as an adult I've never learned to apply it.  So I'm a 28 year-old woman who's has probably worn powder/foundation five times in her life.  Weird?  Probably. 

So what do I use?  I use Aveeno products to wash.

Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser. This is a gentle, foaming cleanser that prevents/clears up blemishes.  Besides when my skin was irritated during my thyroid condition back in 2007, I've never really had a problem with blemishes.  What I like about this cleanser is that it has soy in it, which evens out your skin tone.

Aveeno Positively Ageless Daily Exfoliating Cleanser.  I wash with this a few times a week.  I think any kind of exfoliation can be tough on your face (even when it claims to be "gentle"), so I choose not to use this daily as it suggests.  But this product is great for removing that dull skin we all tend to get.  And, yep, it's an anti-aging product.  No, I'm not too young to use this and chances are, you aren't either.  The sun (and even our diet sometimes) is tough on our skin, and you've got to fight those added aging agents off.
What I truly believe makes my skin look the way it does is the moisturizer I use:  Neutrogena Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30.  I remember I tried this product a few years ago because Gabrielle Union was it's spokesperson.  I love her and I love her skin and I totally fell for the celebrity-marketing-a-product thing.  Not expecting any significant results, I was surprised to see the difference in my skin.  This was probably back in 2004.  This moisturizer claims to bring out the radiance in your skin, and it's no lie.  It has soy in it which evens out discoloration/blotchiness.  And then the SPF -- gotta have it.  The sun is not your skin's friend.

And then to moisturize at night, I'm not really loyal to one brand.  The Visibly Even line actually has a night-time moisturizer, but I don't buy it (which may mean there was something I didn't like about it).  My current favorite is one from Garnier Nutritioniste.  I can't remember the name of it -- I just know it's in a green glass container.

When I travel, I try to keep it simple.  I leave my cleansers at home and take only one moisturizer.  I'll use my toddler's Dove soap to wash my face (only the Sensitive Skin kind -- the other kinds can be a little harsh ) and moisturize with my Visibly Even day and night.  At least short term, I know this little routine is gentle on your face.

So these are the things I use.  Now, my skin isn't perfect, and I have days where I wish I had something in my drawer to cover up some discoloration, dullness, or blemish.  But most days a little eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss completes this low-maintenance look for me.

Images:  Aveeno.com, Neutrogena.com

No comments:

Post a Comment