Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Books for Cheap

...at the thrift store! 

For me to be such a money-saver, I don't do thrift stores very often (though we do have a nice desk in our office that was a thrift store steal, and lamps in our living room that were thrift store finds of my aunt's).  The problem is I'm not really a fan of hit-or-miss shopping.  So thrift stores, and even places like Ross and TJ Maxx, aren't places I have a lot of patience for.  I am JUST now starting to get clothes for my daughter at consignment shops.  And even then, sometimes, I'm not impressed with their prices because with my couponing and deal-seeking resources, I can find those same items NEW at the same (sometimes better) prices.

Anyway, my mom, a thrift store junkie, came to my house this weekend and I knew she'd love a visit to a thrift store.  So off we went.  If you can't tell by my blog, I'll tell you now:  WE LOVE BOOKS in this house.  So naturally I navigated to the book section expecting to see a messy pile of old, yucky books.  I was pleasantly surprised to find clean* books neatly stacked on shelves, and plenty of them!

And the prices?  Like 39 and 49 cents!  The most I paid for one was $1.99, but that book was almost new and retailed for $10.  I grabbed several board books for my little one.  Then I found this:


Which was cool since I already owned this:


And then I ran across the book below and thought it was cool (though we can't use it until Morgan's a little older):


A few seconds later, I realized it was a SIGNED copy (by just one of the authors, but still)!

How awesome is that!

Now I could have gone to a thrift store that only takes nice books or maybe it was just a good day to drop by -- I know thrift stores are hit-or-miss -- but I was pleased with the selection and what I brought home.  But not more pleased than my little one.  Which makes it even better!

So, though I have my favorite spots to shop for books (a little company mentioned more than once on this blog), I may start paying a visit to the thift store more often!

* ...though they still got a good ol' disinfecting wipe down. :)

Image Sources:  BarnesandNoble.com, Amazon.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment